The annual Business Improvement Zones Awards ceremony Mayor Brian Bowman recognized 16 Winnipeg individuals and organizations that have made contributions to enhance their local Business Improvement Zones (BIZ).
“Our local BIZs play an important role in building our city as well as enhancing pride in our city,” said Mayor Bowman. “The Mayor’s Awards provide an opportunity to show our appreciation for all the great work our BIZs do making our communities, neighbourhoods, and city a better place to live, work, and do business. I want to congratulate all the award recipients today, and thank you for contributing towards a stronger Winnipeg.”
The annual Mayor’s BIZ Awards acknowledge the many contributions made to BIZ zones through marketing, special events and promotions, as well as local area beautification and safety.
The 2017 Mayor’s BIZ Award recipients are:
- Jeff Kerr – Academy Road BIZ
- Rob Benson – Corydon Avenue BIZ
- CHAT & Watch Program – Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
- Zephyra Vun – Exchange District BIZ
- Robert McDonald – North End BIZ
- Glenn Crawshaw – Norwood Grove BIZ
- Tim Woodcock – Old St. Vital BIZ
- John Coward – Osborne Village BIZ
- Nuit de_ART – Provencher Blvd BIZ
- Chapman Goddard Kagan – St. James Village BIZ
- Ward Bruner – St. Norbert BIZ
- Ideal Electric Mfg Co Ltd – Selkirk Ave BIZ
- Denis Fletcher – South Osborne BIZ
- Wendy Galagan – Transcona BIZ
- Synonym Art Consultation – West Broadway BIZ
- Christian Cassidy – West End BIZ
Almost 5,000 businesses are represented across16 BIZs in Winnipeg. Each zone has its own mandate and mission statement, but all work toward enhancing their zone for business members. The Downtown BIZ was established in 1989 as the first BIZ zone, while the St. Norbert BIZ is the most recent addition.