Are you doing some spring cleaning and have some items in good condition that you’ll never use again? Residents are invited to take advantage of this year’s spring giveaway weekend on May 13 and 14, 2017. This is a great opportunity to find a new owner for those reusable, unwanted items taking up space in your home or to browse the curbs for some great finds.
Tips if you are giving away items
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
- Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
- Store items out of sight that you don’t want to give away.
- Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items include:
- books, CDs and DVDs
- furniture, electronics and small appliances
- sports equipment and toys
- yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes, shovels)
- kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- unwanted gifts
- construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Please do not put out:
- Items that could be unsafe
- Items that could harbour bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
Tips if you are cruising the curbs looking for treasures
- Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE.”
- Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
- Don’t walk or drive on private lawns or gardens.
- Don’t discard any items on private property.
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block driveways with your vehicle).
- Watch out for children.
For more information on the giveaway weekend, including what to do with leftover items:
- Visit City of Winnipeg – Giveaway weekends
- Contact our 311, open 24 hours every day, by phone at 311 or by email at email@example.com
- Download the My Waste app at winnipeg.ca/mywaste
For information on items that aren’t safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts) visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau.